Monday, January 31, 2011

Seeing Double



Today's drawing is sort of a before and after look. The first version of this comic page is coloured directly from a pencil drawing with some black lines added in photoshop to give it a bit of pop. Originally I had thought about doing an entire comic like this. There are some things I like about it such as the shape of the castle and the girls face, but a lot of it feels too rough even for me.


The second version is inked and shaded. All the same colours are used in both versions, with the shading of the pencil of the first one working in place of the colour shading of the second. Honestly I like both for different reasons and dislike them for some of the same reasons. If that makes any sense. Either way, there's a sense of what happens to a drawing when you start putting ink on it. There are a lot of things that you can't do with a pen that you can with a pencil.

2 comments:

  1. Neat comparison! I like the softness of the pencil for sure, but am also a fan of the strong black lineart of the second. The girl is very cute ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda. I can't say that Tris looks anything like I had originally imagined her in my head, but I like how she turned out.

    ReplyDelete