Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Illyia character design


Illyia is one of the main characters of Never, and yet I've spent very little time drawing her. She's really hard for me, because I can't quite figure out what she looks like. She's supposed to be pretty, but not as conventionally so as Len is. Well, this drawing isn't quite what I have in mind, but it's possibly the direction I'm going in.

When I was looking for photo references for this drawing, I discovered that her hair style, which I thought I had made up, is actually a trend. An emo trend. Once I thought about it a bit, I think that suits her. She does cut herself after all. Blood is how her magic works, okay? It's just how it works... Yeah. Okay. I'll think through my ideas more next time.

4 comments:

  1. yes, it's weird how some characters have to go through a morphing stage before you can actually nail 'em down (and some characters never LEAVE that morphing stage!!)

    Illyia is lookin' great in this pic! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very frustrating. Aalex is also one of those characters, though I think I'm finally comfortable with how he looks. What characters have you had problems drawing Brenda?
    And thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like her hairstyle, and the way you drew her expression, she looks like a curious, yet pragmatic character. I have trouble making my characters look different, they seem to all look similar in some way X.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Carolyn described her look very well ^__^
    For me, I find it can be hard sometimes to draw Tisha. It's difficult to get that cruel beauty look! Also there are some characters coming up that keep morphing every time I try and sketch them out. >__<! hee hee!

    And yes, Aalex is looking very comfortable (and hot!) ;D

    ReplyDelete